
Since this is my very first time blogging (I have no idea what I am doing), I will start off with a cute story about my youngest son Carson. Carson was probably around 6 or 7 years old when this happened. One day the family (4 of us-Dad, big brother Jared, Carson, and me!) were just sitting around the house and Carson pipes up and says, "Dad, I know what hockey team you played for." For those of you who don't know, Derek, also known as Dad, used to play college hockey for the University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks, and he also spent 3 years playing semi-pro for the Raleigh, Icecaps in North Carolina. We were figuring he was about to say the Nanooks or the Icecaps. So Carson continues and says: "the St. Louis Blues." The St. Louis Blues is big time....primetime NHL making the big dollars. We sorta laugh, and Dad says, "no no, I did not play for them." Carson is like, "yes you did!" Again we are telling him no, he never played for that team. At this point Carson is getting very adament and loudly states, "Yes you did, I know you did, you are in the picture hanging in the bedroom!" For those of you who have not been in my bedroom (which is probably 99.9% of you) we have a picture hanging in our room titled "The Goal." It is a picture of the very great, very famous, very talented hockey great Bobby Orr..who many hockey folk say is the greatest defenseman to ever live. In the picture Bobby played for the Boston Bruins and his team was playing the St. Louis Blues team. The photographer captured Bobby Orr just scoring the game winning goal to win the Stanley Cup, in which after he scored Bobby is sent flying through the air by St. Louis Blues player Noel Picard. In the picture you see the St. Louis Blue Player Picard just kinda standing there, while Bobby is literally flying through the air. Very cool photo by Ray Lussier. Anyways, after Carson informs us that his dad is in this very picture, we all jump up off the couch and make the short run to the bedroom. We all get there and stare at the picture, at which Carson very proudly points to the St. Louis Blue player and says, "See Dad, there you are." Now when Derek purchased this picture it was because of Bobby Orr....I don't know if until this point if we had really ever noticed this other guy. We all look and sure enough....if that guy does not look like a very close twin of my husband. We had a good laugh, as the photo was taken in 1970, making Derek only 2 years old at the time. When I take the time to look at the photo now, I'm no longer upset at the amount of money my husband spend on it! I get a good chuckle looking at my "NHL hubby!" Secretly, I think Carson still thinks it is his dad! |
2 comments:
It's amazing how much that looks like Derek! Carson could definitely fool his friends. :)
I love your new blog Patty!!! Yay! I cracked up because before I read what you wrote, I saw the picture and thought it was Derek too! I just love looking at all your pics!! I will put it on my favorites!! XO, Reg
Post a Comment