Wednesday, November 24, 2010

With the Holidays upon us, it is time to help out. Last year was my first try at this. My church always has an adopt a family. We have a tree decorated with items that this family needs. You can pick any (or none) items you wish. Bring them back and then the teen youth group wraps and delievers them. Last year, I got last picks. Pretty much there was a $100 GVEA GC you could buy or buy them their Christmas dinner. I was hoping to get off cheaper than that, but I really wanted to help, so I picked the Christmas dinner. I went to Safeway's Deli. It cost $49.99 to get a pre-cooked Christmas dinner. So I bought a $50 Safeway GC for this. Way more money than I wanted to give, but I did it. Let me tell you it felt so good. I didn't get to meet the family, or even know who they were. I didnt get to see their faces when they opened it, but it was beyond that for me. It just felt good to know I was helping someone else less fortunate feel better, for at least one day.
This year, we have the adopt a family again. I picked a tag that was for a 6 yr old boy who wants books. Can't wait to go to B&N and pick some out, with the boys help. Derek's work is also doing an adopt a family. He forwarded me the note. One family has no Christmas tree or decorations. We picked up an extra artificial tree one year at Home Depot at the after Christmas day sale. I think it cost a whole wopping $10.00 after all the markdowns. I was going to use it as an extra decoration outside with lights on it. Since fuel started costing so much, which caused electricity to cost so much more, we haven't set it except for one year. It's just sitting in the crawl space. Gathering dust. Derek made his way to town today, and bought some decorations and lights for it, and will drop it off to the HR dept of his work tonight. It feels really good to know that this family will be able to decorate a tree, which is such an important tradition in my family.
If you don't already help out....try it...I guarentee you will love it!!

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I just want to give you a great big hug right now!! I'd cry, too, but my head already hurts. The Linnell's are some of the most awesome people I've ever met!

Patty said...

Thanks Gayle....I know you know what I mean, since you are always out delivering your cookies and everything else you do. Gosh, it is such a good feeling, it really is!

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...