Tuesday, April 14, 2009

This is taped in Jared's baby book. My dad cut this out of the paper and mailed it to us in North Carolina. I think hockey was just meant to be part of Jared's life!
He was born 1 week after Derek's playoffs ended. He was almost 2 week early, so it was nice that we didn't have to wait in NC that long for him to be born.
The main thing about his birth that I remember is that when we went to the hospital and I was doing my thing, somehow the nurses found out that Derek was 'a Raleigh Icecap hockey player. Hockey was very new in NC (no NHL team back then) and this was one of the first semi pro teams that had seen in that part of the country. Pretty much they viewed them as famous pro players. (too bad they didn't make the same pay as those pro's!). So anyways, one other couple was in the waiting room. He was a teammate of Derek's and was good friends with his wife. The nurses just about went crazy over Derek and his teammate Mike. I remember them asking Derek if is was okay if they went and got some of their other nurse friends to come down to meet them. They all wanted their autographes. I just remember thinking to myself "um hello, woman in labor way over here getting ignored!"
Needless to say Jared was born big, happy, and healthy!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Jared didn't stand a chance! It had to be hockey (good thing he liked it and is good at it!:)

Happy Birthday, Jared!

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...