Sunday, April 19, 2009

Writing woes...

Carson is a really good student with good grades. We are very fortunate with that. One thing he does hate doing in school is WRITING. The kid can read Harry Potter novels within a few days...I have waited in lines for new releases in certain series for him, he loves to read, and will reread books over and over until I buy him a new one....but when it comes to writing...he just hates it. One of my earliest memories of this, was when he was in first grade. Since I work at the school, his teacher came to my class one day to tell me he was having a hard time. He was suppose to write a story about a ghost. She showed me his paper, and it was crumpled and erased all over....it had the words BOO BOO BOO BOO BOO and so on, written on the whole paper. I kinda secretly thought it was funny, but of course unacceptable, which he was told. So anyways, he has always hated writing since a young age.
His teacher this year, I think grades him unfairly. Since he is a A student, she expects these long, drawn out papers written by him, and Im telling you, unless I tell him exactly what to write, it just is not going to happen. (I've explained this to her, and read her many emails how he was practically in tears over having to do a writing assignment in class). Anyways, while cleaning up some of his papers laying around the house, I came across a writing practice test that he did. I thought it was very cute.
(the question was: Think about meeting someone from the past, whom would you like to meet? And what would you talk about with this person?).
These are his words...
I would meet with Bobby Orr. We would talk about hockey and other things. Then he would tell me the secret to be a great defensman. Then I would ask him about all the old timer players. He would say that Wayne Grektzy was the best player he's ever played. I would talk about being his biggest fan and watching his old videos and having a signed picture of him. Bobby Orr would tell me the tales of him rushing the puck and leading the league in goals. Then he would have to leave and he would give me signed cards of him. That's who I'd meet.
Of course the teacher wrote in RED writing:
Too short-needs more details and organization.
I liked it, and thought it was perfect!
Maybe someday he will surprise us all and become a best selling author!

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Not everyone is meant to write long novels with every thought. From what I remember, Carson doesn't talk all that much therefore a kid with little to say aloud probably has little to say on paper. He answered the question and he got to the point. (Maybe more of the world just needs to get to the point!). I think he did just fine, too!

an.Alaskan.mom said...

Jay thinks the boys should have purposely NOT answered any questions (or answered them wrong) for the English portion of the SBA's so that someone would realize the morons they hired at NPE! Wish he would have thought of that earlier. Seriously - what did she want? A bunch of bull about the kind of tea they drank while they chatted?

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...