Saturday, August 8, 2009

my soon to be bionic toe!

Sorry for the picture for those of you who get grossed out easily. So I have had toe pain for probably 4 or more years. Nothing that causes great pain, or the need for pain killers, just irritating. Mostly noticed it when wearing a different pair of shoes, or walking a lot.
I went to the TVC clinic a couple of years ago, and had a x-ray done, but it didn't show anything according to them. So finally this summer, I went to an actual foot Dr. He also did x-rays and immediatley said I had some arthritis in the joint of my big toe and that surgery was required to fix it. Surgery for something that wasn't causing me much pain, just irritation. Sheesh! So I finally decided to do it.
Yesterday I went in. The first thing they do is a pregnancy test (yeah right!). So after that test came back negative 15 minutes later, they go my IV put in. My blood pressure was a bit high, so they gave me a valium to help calm my nerves. After awhile the nurse asked how that valium was doing, and really I felt the same. My blood pressure did go down, so I guess it must have been working, but the nurse asked me if I did stuff. I was like Stuff? she was like year stuff, and Im like do you mean do I do drugs? She nods..haha Im like I take some flight anxiety pills when I fly a few times a year that is it. I guess it was weird that the valium didnt work wonders on me! haha so anyways after waiting for 2 hours for the Dr, they finally come in to prep me. The anesthesiologists came in and explained what they were going to do. Then after about another half an hour, the wheeled me down the hall to the surgery room. It looked just like they look on tv. Metal looking room, freaking cold, giant light in the middle of the room. Once I got in there it was pretty quick. She said Im gonna put some medicine in your IV to relax you, and then they put the mask on my face and said to breathe deep. My first breath made me cough, so did the second breath....I started the 3rd breath, and next thing you know I remember sorta dreaming then someone talking to me. I woke up in a different room, and asked the question that I am positive that nurse must hear everytime "am I done?" yep she said, and then she gave me a popsickle. About another 10 mins in that recovery room, then they took me to recovery room 2, and that is when Derek got to come in. It's pretty cool actually. Out in the waiting room they have a big screen monitor with numbers on it. Each patient has a number. So Derek had my number and on the screen it tells you where I am. (Post -op for like 2+hours, Operating room for about 1 hour he said, Recovery room 1 for about 1 hours, and then recovery room 2-when he came in). So anyways, the Dr. (Dr. Quayle) comes in and gives us a picture of my foot. I guess that is the round ball thingee in your joint of your toe. It is suppose to be round and smooth, and mine is detoriating as you can see in the picture. Because of that, it would get caught up while I was walking sometimes and that is what would cause my minor pain. So he smoothed it out the best he could. He did say that this should give me years of relief, but that I may have to come in to get an implant. (oh joy).
Years years years ago, my family along with my sister in law were at a Goldking hockey game. My sis in law Linda got hit in the knee with a puck. Since most of you who read my blog are hockey people, you know how getting hit in the knee with no shin pads, not even paying attention would hurt. My dad retells that story ALL the time, and he always call Linda 'Puck Knee.' About 2 months ago, my family, and my dad and Puck knee's daughter Jenna went to a Grizzley game. My dad and Jenna had seats right in the front row. Derek, the kids and I were about 10 or so rows above them to the right. So a players flies over the boards trying to catch a ball, and pretty much lands right on top of my dad. I text Jenna and ask if everything is OK, and she said yeah, but that the players helmet bounced off of Grandpas (my Dad) shin. He was tough guy though during the game, but did say it hurt like Hell. So now he is called 'Helmet Shin!' Even though my toe is not really the bionic toe (as my friend Jason nicknamed me), I am now proudly in the Puck knee, Helmet shin, Bionic toe club!!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

That is disgusting. Really. Ouch!! Dr. Quayle is a nice guy...he's the one Elijah saw for his foot pain. Two months (a million dollars later) of wearing orthotics and he's fine. Guess that makes him a good doctor. I hope it heals quickly and you don't have to have surgery again for a long, long time.

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...