Friday, June 11, 2010

Here is my garden. It's gotten really bad in the past two summers with weeds. I am sure there is some type of safe weed killer I should be using. I need to look into that. That grassy area is actually my strawberries. I need to dig them all up and get that area tilled, and then replant. It is so full of grass.
We've been living here for just about 9 years and new paint was needed badly! I know people who have all the beautiful colored walls in their houses, but I like white. It just gets so dark in winter, that I just can't see having dark walls.

Here is Carson watching a Toy Story marathon (part I and II). Just in time since part III is due out soon. We all love Toy Story!



So Jared made his USHL team in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They drafted him last summer. He probably could have been on the team last season, but I was not ready for my 16 year to be gone for the year. Well, even though he is now only 17 and still has one more year of HS left, I am letting him go. It is time. Its a great league, and a hard league to make. It is very serious. He has to eat around 5000 calories a day to help gain some weight. His goal is 5 lbs. Then he has different testing he has to do each day. Here he is doing the shuttle run. He also has to go to the gym 6 days a week and work out. Muscle and weight is what he needs at this point. We didnt really know how hard it was to eat 5000 calories per day. He started keeping track yesterday and got around 3800. It's all good though, can't expect them to get everything right on the first day. He has to go to Cedar Rapids in July for a weekend check-in. (Yes, a weekend check-in! All good for the kids who live within a 4 hr driving distance, but oh well, we would never question the coach, so another plane ticket goes on the list!). Then I assume he will check in around late August for the year. It is very bittersweet, but I have been preparing myself for this all year. I was in Iowa with him for the tryout last week. When he came out, after the final skate to tell me that he made the team. All the parents were standing around waiting to see. I started crying. I am sure all the other parents thought, 'oh that poor mom is so upset that her son got cut,' haha . It was a happy cry really, but gosh, I am going to really miss him around here. Very proud though, very proud!



2 comments:

Gayle said...

I would have cried, too. In fact, I got tears in my eyes reading your reaction. I just can't imagine home with Nick. It's going to be so depressing. This is such a good opportunity for Jared though. He's worked so hard to get to this point with so much support from his family. I'm sure you all must be so proud. Poor guy is going to get sick of eating and what a work out schedule. He's going to be busy this summer.

Melissa said...

Wow!! I am in the same boat as Gayle. I cried reading your reaction. What a wonderful opportunity for Jared, and one I know he has worked really hard for. Sounds like he has a lot of hard work to do but he can do it, especially since hockey is involved. You and Derek have done such a fantastic job with Jared and Carson! (can I send Tayllor to live with you guys? LOL)
Congrats again to Jared and to you as well Patty!

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...