Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy Reading 2010!

Happy New Years Everyone!
My New Years resolution is to read more!
I got so many new books for Christmas (as did Carson)!
Witch & Wizard by James Patterson Not sure what it is about, but it looks really good.
My mother in law always has a knack for finding me books that have to do with Alaska. Last year she got me Northern Lights. It's by Nora Roberts. It was really good, and in fact you can watch it on the Lifetime channel. It stars Eddie Cibrian (yes I love him-ever since he played a character on my Young and Restless show long ago) and LeAnn Rimes. (they had an affair in real life after or during the filming). Anyways, great show too. This year she got me a book called Midnight Sons by Debbie Macomber. Looking forward to reading it.
A couple of years ago, I got Carson a book off of one of his scholastic forms called Tunnels by Gordon Williams. I only made it about halfway through. I found it too slow moving. Derek really liked it and it ended in a cliff hanger, so for Christmas I got him Deeper. It's the next part...someday I will start Tunnels over and get to Deeper.
Ever since the Twilight series, I am into the whole Vampire thing. Derek bought me a four book series that was recommended in People Magazine. It's the Vampire Academy series. I haven't started it, but am very excited and hope it is good, since I have 4 books to read.
I bought Carson a series about a boy vampire for Christmas. I thought he would enjoy it, and let's face it, it looked good, and I wanted to read it too. As of now it is a 3 book series called The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. I read part 1, before I wrapped them and put them under the tree. It was very catchy. And nice to read about a boy. It starts out with him in 8th grade. Part 2, which I finished last night is his 9th grade year, and part 3 he is in the 10th grade. Since school starts on Tuesday, and we have some seriously bad hours here. Yes, staying up till 2am, sleeping in until 11am....Scary. Anyways, I told Carson TV was off at midnight, so of course he asked to read. Who can so no to that? So he picked up part 1 of this series. This morning, he woke me up, coming in for part 2. Said he stayed up till 2:30am finishing the whole book. So much for no TV. Glad he liked it, as I sure did. Currently this is what I am reading...part 3.
Last summer, during the 4th of July annual camping weekend, my niece Jenna could not seem to tear her eyes away from some book she was reading. She was reading one of The House of Night Novels. She lent them to me. The first one is called Marked. Zoey gets marked to become a vampire, so she has to leave her normal high school, to go to the House of Night, which is a school for Vampires. Kinda like Harry Potter, only much more of an adult/older teen level. After Marked, there is Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted and then the newest Tempted. They are so good. In fact, when asking Derek to buy me Tempted for Christmas, I asked for the whole series. I just wanted to own it for some reason. I bought Jenna Tempted for Christmas, and she has already finished it (as did my mom who we also shared the books with) and I have as well. Didn't like the ending, which of course leaves us all waiting for the next book. Sigh...
Two other books Carson got (one from me and one from Grandma Linnell) were Ranger's Apprentice (it is also a series, but he only got book 1, so far) and The Night Tourist. They look good too. They are on my list.
Finally, my 10 year old niece Maggie wanted Gregor the Overlander series for Christmas. I went to the bookstore to get it (5 book series) and it looked really good, so I also bought a set for Carson. (but of course, I want to read them too). Looks like they are about a brother and sister who somehow accidentally go underground and find all kinds of stuff in trying to find their way back home.
So as you can see...I think I will be able to follow my New Years Resolution pretty easily....Love reading!

3 comments:

Dee said...

Patti!

A visit to your blog is long overdue! I'm interested in the Twilight series, but haven't even watched the movies. Maybe that will be on my list this year. I'm wrapping up my first book already, and my next will be the very popular Alaskan legend, Two Old Women, by Velma Wallis.

I love the addition of music to your blog, and want to add it to my own.

Happy 2010!

Gayle said...

I'm pretty sure I haven't read that many books in the last twenty years let alone one year! Maybe now with the woodstove I'll curl up with a book now and again.

keturi/faro clan said...

can I borrow Marked? it sounds like a great series!!! I read about a book every few days so I often am searching up new reads or rereading old ones! thanks for the great suggestions!

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...

8 stars of gold, on a field of blue...