
I meant to post this on November 2nd, but I forgot, so 2 months late....here it is.
So many great things happened with the birth of my second son Carson....one being this which I already posted http://canamlinnells.blogspot.com/2008/11/so-im-little-sappy.html and the other also posted here: http://canamlinnells.blogspot.com/2008/11/carsons-birth-story.html .
The other great thing, which my friend Dee reminded me about, also happened when Carson was born. Carson was born on Nov. 2nd. The very next day during the many check-ups you get after childbirth, it was found that I was having irregular heartbeats. Long story short, I ended up in the ICU for one night getting this monitored. If you have never been in an ICU room, they have a toilet which is right in the room with you (for everyone to see). When I had to use the restroom, I would walk out into the ICU's waiting room, as they had a private bathroom in there. I noticed a family that looked like they had been practically camped out in this waiting room. I really didn't think much about it, other than they had obviously been here for awhile. The next morning, I was realeased. Being that Carson was only a day old, they let him and Derek stay in the ICU room with me for the night. Down in the main lobby, Derek left Carson with me and went to get the car. I believe it was a very cold day. So I am standing there looking at my new baby, when suddenly this woman approaches me. I recognized her from the ICU waiting room. She said something to me really fast about how on this sad day she was really happy to see my baby and I going home healthy and happy. She then handed me what was obviously some money and walked away. I looked down at the money in my hand, and it was a $100 dollar bill. I looked back up and just like in the movies, she had dissapeared. When Derek came in, he and I could not believe it. When I got home, I told my mom about it. (She was at my place watching our older son Jared). With a little investigating, we called the ICU and asked about her, and found out that it was Velma Wallis, an Alaskan author. It was her brother that was in the ICU, and he had just passed on. Soon after my dad told me that she was going to be at Gullivers doing a book signing for her newest book Bird Girl. Of course we went. She instantly recognized us. It was just a very special moment. Nov. 5th, 6 years later, she had another book signing for Raising Ourselves. We went and again shared another special moment. I told her it had just been Carson's 6th birthday, to which she ran to her wallet and gave him $20.00 dollars. Her first book is Two Old Women. It is absolutely one of my favorites books. Raising Ourselves was an autobiography and I really enjoyed that as well. If you are ever looking for some good reads, definitely try these out. Just another little piece of all the excitement that came from Carson's birth!
2 comments:
what an awesome story!!!
Patty, beautiful how both of you were so blessed on your son's birthday, and that she could appreciate life during a time of death. I liked her before, but now more. I've read Raising Ourselves, so depressing, but enlightening, huh? I'm sure we have Bird Girl at the library and will check it out during my big year of reading.
Peace and Love.
Post a Comment