Carson's birth story...
Since my friends Lucy and Gayle did this on their blogs, I thought I would as well. Great Idea!
November 2nd, somewhere in that afternoon...
Derek was out of town on his drilling job. He was working out in Livengood, which is about an hour and a half away. Carson was already two days late and I was feeling it and not very happy about still being pregnant. I remember sometime that day calling Derek practically (well probably) crying into the phone for him to come home. He asked if I was in labor, and I said No, but that I was hurting and I just wanted him home. He said he would think about it.
So Im listening to the radio, as my brother Steve had called and told me tune into a certain station. It was one of those drawings things...(cant remember for sure), but something like where people either answered a question, or got drawn to be in the final drawing for a snowmachine. Steve's wife Connie was in the draw. I don't remember how many people were in the final drawing, but it was a lot. LIke maybe 50. They would draw like 5 names out (had to be present to win) then those people would be out of the running for the snowmachine grand prize. Then they would play songs, then back to drawing more names, getting down to the last name in the box to be the winner. Okay, so Steve calls me and tells me this, and to listen. So I do. Well Connie's name is never being called. If anyone knows my family, they are not surprised, as the family name seems to be very lucky in the winning prizes department. So I spend the next few hours listening to this, and she makes it down to the final two people. Sadly she gets called next, and does not win the snowmachine, and if I remember right, she won some cheesy 2nd place prize. So anyways, for some reason Steve stops by on his way home. We are talking about how exciting the drawing was, and how close they came to winning. I start to feel some labor pains. Steve says he is going to hang out for awhile. It becomes appartent that this is the real thing. I call Derek, and the cook at the place where he was working tells me that Derek already headed home, (Thank god) but she is not sure at what time. (This was obviously before cell phones for us). So anyways, I call my mom at home. No answer. I call my Dad at work. He tells me mom is at bingo. I call the Bingo hall. Mom gets on the phone. (anyone that knows my mom is not surprised by this, as she loves bingo) She tells me she is on the final game (the letter C game) and then she will be right over. She arrives a bit later. She sees the pain Im in, and says we are going to the hospital. I tell her I am waiting for Derek to get back, but not sure of what time he left. She said I'm giving him 5 minutes to get here. 5 minutes is up, and she says that is it, we are heading to the hospital. I said Ok. Right as soon as we open the door, there is Derek standing outside the door with his key in hand getting ready to come in. (great timing!!) For his drilling job, as you can imagine, he was always filthy from head to toe! My mom said "you have 2 minutes to take a shower!"
We head to the hospital, and I'm in my room in active labor right away. My whole side of the family is gathered right outside the door. I had that cranky (at least I think she is cranky) grey/white haired German nurse. She is yelling with her accent "Get Blue in de Face!" "Push, Push, Push!" I'm getting ticked, because I am pushing and Carson would just not come.
(side note...I think I just saw that German nurse when my sister in law had her baby a few days ago!)
Anyways...he will not come, this nurse is screaming at me, the Dr. tells me I am not pushing right, Derek was totally bewildered as to what to do. Push push push....(this is the part I'm embarressed to admit...) I (remember I am in the midst of serious pain), I yell out "I am just a housewife, I watch TV all day, I have no muscles to push!" Yes, I yelled that out. Derek heard, my mom heard, the Dr. and nurse heard, and yes, my family outside the room all heard, and god knows who else may have been within earshot. To this day my brothers still make fun of me and call me "the housewife."
So anyways, the Dr. finally gets the vaccum suction thing, and helps to aide me in getting Carson pushed/pulled out.
Born at 8:17pm
I was in the hospital for only 4 hours. All pushing.
and do you know why?
That boy weighed in at 9.8 pounds! No wonder I couldn't push him out. He looked like a 3 month old compared to the other newborns.
One other part on his story. My brother Steve was taking video...and when Derek carried Carson out to see the family, my Dad yells out, "geez they let you hold the baby with those hands?" In the video, you can totally tell that Derek really only had a 2 minute shower. Dirty, greasy nails!
It all makes for what I think is a great birth story of my precious baby, Carson who is now 1 year away from being a teenager.
6 comments:
a birth story, are you kidding me? - Flyers Phan
I like the 7th grade virgin story better - post that
You are too funny Flyers Phan...I wonder who your true identity could be? haha
You are too funny Flyers Phan...I wonder who your true identity could be? haha
Happy Birthday Carson! Of course, this would be the coolest day in history since it's my birthday, too! :) You steak looks way better than the tacos I ate. Lucky guy! Oh, and that German nurse, I remember her when my ex-husbands appendix burst and she was one hard lady on him...that must have been around '96 or so...got to be the same lady! She scared me! I wish we had many more birth stories to tell, but since we don't we'll sure treasure the ones we have.
Happy Birthday Carson!!! Looks like a great dinner too! My birthday is next week--All us cool scorpios stick together (Gayle, U and Me!) Great birth story too, I had that German nurse with Tyler. She was horrible. She made me walk down to the nurses station so I could see Tyler instead of bringing him to me. this was after 12 hrs of labor and an emergency C section! I was msarter with Cam, just went for the C section and kept him in my room! :)
Post a Comment